Let’s hear your ideas:

System to Stop or Discourage Camping

I've been following this game for a while now since it was announced and just recently the Closed Alpha has been released and lots of broadcasters have started streaming the game.

What I've noticed a bit from watching broadcasters is people camping outside the monster either before it has been killed or after the banishing, waiting for the players to run out so they can kill them. I understand to some extent this is an intended game mechanic but it can still feel pretty ****** for some players. I have an idea that could help to combat this from becoming a problem to game play.

What I'm proposing is a sort of "Terror" mechanic to at least somewhat punish the hardcore campers. What this would be is a mechanic that causes players, once they reach a certain threshold of "Terror", to begin screaming and yelling so as to alert players to their general location and discourage them from just camping all game. How it would work is that whenever a player stops moving around much and stays in a general area, maybe like a circular region around the player, or the players last location, they would start to generate "Terror". The player would only generate "Terror" if they didn't achieve a set of variables checked every so often maybe such as things like, attacking mobs, attacking the monster, setting traps. The only condition I'm not sure about having is attacking other players because then it might just serve no purpose, maybe check the variable of attacking other players more often than the others. "Terror" would be a visible thing to the player so that they know they either need to move to a different area completely or they need to start fighting monsters and doing things other than sitting in place.

I feel that a system like this would be the best way to combat campers without the need to change any of the major systems of the game. Going against campers in any game is never fun and this might help to stop it from plaguing this wonderful game.

Other than that one possible issue the game looks amazing and seems like it plays amazing from what I've seen.

Thanks for all your work on it!

418 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rekkt_MD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Already implemented  ·  Adminjanneke (Admin, Crytek) responded  · 

Sorry for the delayed response. We have implemented the dark sight boost a couple of updates ago to go against camping as well as give extra incentive to go after the bounty. Obviously we still want camping to be a valid tactic but with the dark sight boost it makes it a lot harder when they can be seen.

181 comments

Comments are closed
  • djoapplejuice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about a roaming mini boss in the wooded areas that travels the map searching out campers. Like a Bigfoot or Skunk Ape. Don't get me wrong I camp in this game. Trying to set ambushes or sniping, but it would be cool that if after a certain amount of time some sort of forest mini boss attacks you . That would cause a ruckus and force the player to react or die. Sort of a cool way of saying "hey you posted for too long"

• Guardian047 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Detecting and announcing to all players that the boss has been discovered without having to enter the lair would help a lot to reduce this lame strategy of just waiting next to the Boss.

It's very common that players get lucky and start the game close to the lair so when they hear the boss instead of triggering the announcement they just wait on an adjacent room.

• DrunkSkeeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No that is stupid. It should be a **** meter. If they stay within the same 10m circle for more than 5 minutes, their bowels should empty and their character begin ******* wildly with an audible range of 20-70m depending on random generated ***** in both sound and volume.

• EldrenOfTheMist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if instead of using terror. The player camping For so long starts to have Bugs Crawl on them. and they start to Freak out because of the Bugs. So they start to make noises. They have to Brush off the Bugs to stop making noises. (Think some thing like wrapping wounds.) But your removing bugs from you. Even if you move. you still have the bugs on you. which are crawling on you, and biting you. Perhaps they should be fire ants. XD And Not only do you make noises when they are on you. But you start to flinch and move and swot at your body. Giving away motion and not just sound. If the Bug levels get to high on you. They start to through off your combat reactions. So aiming is slower. and you could stop aiming to swot at a bug biting you. And if the Bug levels reach max you start to take damage. Until you clean them off of you. If you camp for like 15-30 sec. You start to Generate points in your Bug-Meter, and the higher the bug level gets. the more Problematic it gets. Perhaps you need to spend more time wiping bugs off of you. the higher the level is on your bug-meter. Also wiping off bugs makes sound and shows motion. Which can give your position away.

• d10sk0ur01 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no camping in this game anyway.
    the player character could cough and like this automatically attract players and NPC.. simple as that.

I suggested an Audio feature that allows NPC to be sensible to our voice too.. that would be great.

This game is about HUNT,,, hunters to set ambushes and do recon the field. So no, this game has no camping.

• Corveux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've read through the comments, some generally good ideas to eliminate the "camping" abuse.

I agree that camping is necessary sometimes, I sit still from time to time, then slowly move again. I play solo, I need to do this, I'm new, I'm scared :)

"do not change core gameplay", this here is probably the most important thing to consider when trying to figure out what to do about these 50 min + campers.

Just give me a new tool to buy, a lure. Let me throw it into a house or area and lure the PvE creeps there, if I hear gunshots or fighting I know someone is there, I might even catch them off guard while they are defending against the creeps.

As I solo player this is the only anti-camping tool I'm asking for :) It's not game-breaking, and changes none of the core machanics.

• ZackSmith243 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. folding mattress for sofa bed.<a href=outdoor-equip.net>camping tips and tricks</a>

• tangolimaromeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nah, makes sense that you'd want to stop before hitting the boss, scope the place out to make sure nobody is around, clear out any who are openly hostile and then proceed. If you don't like gunning for the boss just to be shot in the back, hold back and hunt along the perimeter of the area for campers before moving in.

Unfortunately so long as PVP is seen by some to be the point of the game (rather than an option to take when competition/scarcity doesn't favor you and you'd rather risk combat for more rewards than extract with just what you've got so far) the game will be infested with the problems inherent to "competitive" player cancer: the boiling away of element after element of the game until only a tenth of the content remains and the game stagnates itself into forgettable oblivion.

• chilliophillio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if dark sight had a cool down or something for when you are chasing people that have the bounty. Or it has limited uses depending on how many clues you got, so campers would have incentive to play the objectives at least a little to get their advantage.

• Yuri-92 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, in other words: "Either you play this way or we make your life impossible"

• enjdusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we all agree that current meta (boss camping) is bad. Games get long, boring and frustrating.

And here is my suggestion - Make timer. I will explain:

When first hunter (team) discovers the boss location, when they get 3rd last clue or when they directly see/hear him then start the timer. And if a boss is not dead when time runs out then the **** will consume the world or whatever lore you will devise (huge zombie hordes flood the map, some burning inferno start consuming the world, whatever to make hunter move).

What do you think?

• D4RK35T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a cool way to deal with people camping out at locations is to have something like a natural AI event cause issues for anyone sitting still for 5 - 10 minutes, forcing you to move position - something like the worms of the meathead finding you and alerting every enemy within 100m to your location.

• slugmasterprime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would also like to see a loss of points and money for camping out on clues all the time you can make more money and points just by camping the clue spots

• ShadowEno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely not, the beauty of this game is for all players to play any way they see it fit. No one is camping for more than a couple of minutes. And if someone is banishing, it is none brainer to try to intercept their extraction route. So far I see only rushers seems to cry the most about rush kill the bosses and cry about being killed by others ( aka campers). to me, it sounds like if they managed to kill the boss they should be guaranteed to have extraction available. If developers do something about players that favor sneaking around then they should have alerts for rushers if they are running or fast walking for more that one minute everyone should see you on the map until you hid in the bushes for another minute. How about for players who shoot more than 5 bullets in one minute should w have some warning system, or if you kill more than 5 monsters in 2 minutes or if you jump more than 5 times in a minute, or if you aim for more than 10 seconds during the minute should you be punished.
    All I`m saying is please developers do not change core gameplay, just leave how it is. We should not be able to dictate how other players should play to please my game style.

• wisielec123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Camping is not as good as most people percieve it to be. In some locations campers can be difficult to weed out, but it can be easily countered by activating one of constant, loud noises such as generators, gramophones and pianos.
    Campers are dead once they are spotted, since thy most of the time stay stationary. If you spot them first, they are dead. The best advice I can give here is to play very agressivly when you sweep an area with potential camper. Moving fast and in unpredictable pattern gives means they have a really high chance of whiffing a shot.

• Grisii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the Idea. I think some Camping in this game is ok. But at the Moment it is so that People didnt do objektives for the whole round. they didnt even take clues. there are People Camping one spot the whole game for 1 kill. or they hugging a camp spot and came when you do the boss kill you and then run. I think the idea with the crows is great but Camping about 10 minutes should be ok. but not 30 minutes.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base