Let’s hear your ideas:

System to Stop or Discourage Camping

I've been following this game for a while now since it was announced and just recently the Closed Alpha has been released and lots of broadcasters have started streaming the game.

What I've noticed a bit from watching broadcasters is people camping outside the monster either before it has been killed or after the banishing, waiting for the players to run out so they can kill them. I understand to some extent this is an intended game mechanic but it can still feel pretty ****** for some players. I have an idea that could help to combat this from becoming a problem to game play.

What I'm proposing is a sort of "Terror" mechanic to at least somewhat punish the hardcore campers. What this would be is a mechanic that causes players, once they reach a certain threshold of "Terror", to begin screaming and yelling so as to alert players to their general location and discourage them from just camping all game. How it would work is that whenever a player stops moving around much and stays in a general area, maybe like a circular region around the player, or the players last location, they would start to generate "Terror". The player would only generate "Terror" if they didn't achieve a set of variables checked every so often maybe such as things like, attacking mobs, attacking the monster, setting traps. The only condition I'm not sure about having is attacking other players because then it might just serve no purpose, maybe check the variable of attacking other players more often than the others. "Terror" would be a visible thing to the player so that they know they either need to move to a different area completely or they need to start fighting monsters and doing things other than sitting in place.

I feel that a system like this would be the best way to combat campers without the need to change any of the major systems of the game. Going against campers in any game is never fun and this might help to stop it from plaguing this wonderful game.

Other than that one possible issue the game looks amazing and seems like it plays amazing from what I've seen.

Thanks for all your work on it!

418 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rekkt_MD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Already implemented  ·  Adminjanneke (Admin, Crytek) responded  · 

Sorry for the delayed response. We have implemented the dark sight boost a couple of updates ago to go against camping as well as give extra incentive to go after the bounty. Obviously we still want camping to be a valid tactic but with the dark sight boost it makes it a lot harder when they can be seen.

181 comments

Comments are closed
  • MstrFstr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Think L4D or Vermintide 2, the more you stand still the more the game spawns special enemies that can incapacitate you right away, start dragging you or another mechanic completely unique to Hunt Showdown. I wouldn't have this everywhere, more specifically after the bounty is on the move and more chances to trigger it around the extraction sites (to the exception of the bounty holders of course). How many times did you get camped from a bush right a the extraction zone because someone has been camping it for 15 minutes straight without moving?

Not saying campers and ambushes don't have their place in the game but they should have to deal with an increased difficulty for using cheaper tactics.

• Lord_Draco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is even worse now. People wont even touch the bounty or fight for the boss kill. Now every high level team camps and waits for someone to pick up the bounty then easily track them with dark sight and jumps them at the most opportune moment. IMO tracking of bounty with darksight needs to be removed so people actually compete for the boss kill / bounty pick up. This is getting old quick.

• BL0ODEYES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Devs,

The concept of this game is amazing and I am thrilled to be participating in it; the problem lies in the fundamental aspect where banishing puts a huge target on your back. No one wants to put themselves in this situation, which leads to the inevitable camping.

Camping tends to be the from gamers at the bottom-of-the-barrel, but when given this incentive to avoid a huge target on you, the choice is a lot easier to make. I personally wish the focus was more PvE related and not: "Ok no matter what, do whatever you can to not have fun and melee/avoid all the grunts/armored/bug b*****s and so-forth. And heaven forbid you do the boss and sit through the banishing."

The only gunfire I ever seem to hear is from hunter battles. Clearing adds feels like an important and immersive experience in this game, but it gets completely derailed when you (yet again) open your position up to the world for viewing pleasure (unless you go knife only like some douche-bag in a COD Gun Game). Every death my friend and I have suffered involved sarcastic predictions of our deaths that unfortunately came true via time-wasting, self-fulfilling campers. Such as: "I bet we spent all this time collecting all these clues and clearing all these adds just to walk into a camper at the boss fight..." *gunshot goes off in the distance* (outside of render distance if not scoped in on a weapon) *bullet enters the cranium via the prefrontal cortex* *friend drops dead after a joke prediction*. I then proceed to scour the area to find the marksman that did my brother in before I pick him up, but to no avail. There are grunts surrounding the nearby areas and I must hope that the assassin moved on with his life to actually complete the objective, and would not do something so low and time-wasting as camping a dead body...*goes to revive friend* *another gunshot* *bullet goes through my throat* preventing me from getting out any last words while the hillbilly that shot us dead proceeds to boast about his hunting skills over our deceased bodies while we must sit and listen to it from the load screens.

Don't get me wrong, I must emphasize that the concept and design of the game is aesthetically astounding, but the execution and PvP elements have a huge area for improvement so I can actually enjoy and immerse myself in the game, without having to concern myself with petty counterplay to camping hunters who refuse to play the game the dirty and fun way. Getting shot from some random area you cannot identify and losing all your progress without a fighting chance just seems wasteful and lazily unfair in terms of gameplay and the differing play-styles that come with it.

If you guys could find some way to negate the influence to waste the timer (which also does not do the game justice) and hide all game, that would be awesome since in this current scenario, I find myself between a rock and a hard place: "Campers vs Timer", which would you want doing you in and nailing your hunter's coffin?

Please do keep up the good work.

BL0ODEYES

• KingIronBear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i enter a game and everyone seems to just camp not collecting clues or trying to banish due to not wanting to be jumped while fighting the boss :(
    so a little tweak would be every location a boss could be has a door you have to slowly open though crank(makes noise) or the door locks/barricades behind you and others have to blow it open with an explosive so the people inside fighting the boss dont get jumped while fighting and have a chance to hear heal and fight
    this would also stop cheesing as the bosses wont come thought an open door and run back lol so if the doors were locked or had to be opend slowly it would also stop this

great game just annoying to be only a few running around trying to banish the boss first as it is now becoming hide in a bush the longest till others are dead then skip hand in hand to the boss banish and extract

• oUrso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole place is putrid and full of death.
    So, it would make sense to have a lot of insects around.

"When people stay in the same area for too long, make insects, like fleas, start gathering around, passively forming a small swarm and producing noise."

It would make it a lot easier to spot campers while not hurting the game atmosphere.

• PurpleFanta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've found that almost every game I play, no one fights the boss but just waits for someone else to either start fighting it or kills them on the way to extraction

• Askelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a system that allow Darksight to make really slow or steady player visible.
    It can be the same thing as the clues. The faster you move the less we see you in Dark sight.
    It gives dark sight more usage. It gives choices for the players.
    All this can be try on a test server to decide the brightness of the hunter for each speed, the time you have to look in dark sight to see that and a lot of details and fine tuning.

• Mikekan13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once a player knows the location of a boss I think pressure should be put on them to enter the den of the monster. Each monster could have (henchmen) that they send out to threatening hunters who have tracked them down. These enemies should hone in on players wherever they are. They should be quick, hard to kill, and deadly so that the player doesn't really want to fight them. Once the players are in the den then the henchmen would stop relentlessly coming after them. This basically forces hunters to face the boss and also prevents them from camping outside of the boss for other players.

• Saionara78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Camping doesnt pay anyway,never had any issues to deal with them,there are couple of routes you can take,get your stamina shots and run to the farthest unexcpected extract point or blaze your way through,swipe the bushes and stuff.Horses makes sound when enemy is near so does the boat,then you can predict where they re hiding,use the flares for blinding,so there are a lot of tools to help you out even when you re running with bounty.Just dont care about bounty on you and engage them like you would without,be more agressive,at least this works for me and my partner and we are winning most of the matches.

• d10sk0ur01 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The game has no real camping. this is a hunt game, it's not a run and gun, so there is not camping.

• Showmi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow hunters to track other hunter's tracks and giving them an advantage over that hunter. For example, a brief vision of the hunter's location when using dark sight.
    This will make the players move because if they don't they will play at a disadvantage.

Also, the players will need to think about what they need to do to cover their tracks. Or they can use the tracks to lead the other hunters into a trap.

• unclle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remove camping like if player stayed hide for like a minute didnt move we should be able to see him on the map

• gRzeHoO7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Picking up the bounty should put HP to like 300 to reward killing the monster

• Rudobrodys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every match lasts not more than 1 hour. 5 minutes before end, a countdown starts. 5 minutes is enough only to get to the extraction point. In other words, there is no chance you kill boss, banish and reach extraction.

By your description I have a feeling you play solo only. If I am right, I suggest you play with a friend or random.

Besides, if you say you have been killed multiple times by teams/players camping nearby boss, then I recommend to make reconnaissance of the surrounding of the lair before you approach. Stealth and sneaky. If you have doubts, then you need to reconsider if you want to risk or go to extraction and try another match.

• Michabritt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be more incentive and rewards for killing players. I think a good idea would be giving hunters the option to loot other hunters that have been killed and be able to collect any tools, consumables, ammo, etc. from them. Also I think another good idea would be to give a bonus in xp/money for killing hunters who are on a winning streak and/or have multiple kills in the current game. Those are just some the ideas I have.

• Miichkiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

even in a supernatural hunting game this doesn't make much sense.

as an alternative ... it could be a magical device that you can use once (perhaps upgradeable) that highlights all players in a realtively fixed (e.g. ca. 100m radius - maybe even making everyone capable of Dark Sight visible to everyone else for short amount of time - 5 secs.

• Akechi001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been killed by multiple teams camping the boss area when I get there. You arrive to the area and it is silent, but then a team starts shooting at you and you end up dying most of the time. I understand that it is a tactical advantage, but there should be something in place to challenge the campers to prevent such a bad playing experience. Maybe add a timer that will force the team to engage the boss or they will receive less experience or half currency earnings. Of course, once they deal a certain amount of damage, the countdown refreshes. Due to the boss camping, I don't even go after the boss anymore. I find myself playing a grind where I end up finding only 2-3 clues and then heading for an exit to survive and earn money and experience.

• Dx774 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that it is part of the game, the degree of uncertinty is what attracts people to the game. Don't try to make this into a run of the mill shooter. So what if people are camping a spot, I guarentee they will make noise eventually.

• SageOfThyme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When an area has been grayed out on the map by someone collecting a clue, make that area becoming more dangerous (more zombies, zombies at level 2 awareness, more skittish crows, etc). This will have two important effects:

1) It will allow people to know an area does not have a boss without having to go for the clue there ("This area is very dangerous, it must be grayed out on someone's map")

2) It will funnel people towards the boss location, generally making the boss location more of a hotspot.

This makes camping a privilege of more aggressive players, makes the boss a hotspot for player activity, and makes the rest of the map more dangerous to creep through. I don't think camping needs to be nerfed/removed so I don't like anti-camping measures like revealing the locations of people that are holding still. I think those are lazy responses to the issue. Camping should remain a strategy but the meta around it should become more complex, which I think this idea helps with.

Feedback and Knowledge Base