Let’s hear your ideas:

System to Stop or Discourage Camping

I've been following this game for a while now since it was announced and just recently the Closed Alpha has been released and lots of broadcasters have started streaming the game.

What I've noticed a bit from watching broadcasters is people camping outside the monster either before it has been killed or after the banishing, waiting for the players to run out so they can kill them. I understand to some extent this is an intended game mechanic but it can still feel pretty ****** for some players. I have an idea that could help to combat this from becoming a problem to game play.

What I'm proposing is a sort of "Terror" mechanic to at least somewhat punish the hardcore campers. What this would be is a mechanic that causes players, once they reach a certain threshold of "Terror", to begin screaming and yelling so as to alert players to their general location and discourage them from just camping all game. How it would work is that whenever a player stops moving around much and stays in a general area, maybe like a circular region around the player, or the players last location, they would start to generate "Terror". The player would only generate "Terror" if they didn't achieve a set of variables checked every so often maybe such as things like, attacking mobs, attacking the monster, setting traps. The only condition I'm not sure about having is attacking other players because then it might just serve no purpose, maybe check the variable of attacking other players more often than the others. "Terror" would be a visible thing to the player so that they know they either need to move to a different area completely or they need to start fighting monsters and doing things other than sitting in place.

I feel that a system like this would be the best way to combat campers without the need to change any of the major systems of the game. Going against campers in any game is never fun and this might help to stop it from plaguing this wonderful game.

Other than that one possible issue the game looks amazing and seems like it plays amazing from what I've seen.

Thanks for all your work on it!

418 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rekkt_MD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Already implemented  ·  Adminjanneke (Admin, Crytek) responded  · 

Sorry for the delayed response. We have implemented the dark sight boost a couple of updates ago to go against camping as well as give extra incentive to go after the bounty. Obviously we still want camping to be a valid tactic but with the dark sight boost it makes it a lot harder when they can be seen.

181 comments

Comments are closed
  • Extrenum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought about this a long time now because camping is a great problem in my opinion. Especially at the extraction points.
    The Idea is if a player doesnt change his position over some time he should be forced to move to another position. And the solution for this is very easy -> RATS.

If the player stand still rats should appear at the players location and make some sounds. the player can only get rid of the rats if he change his position.

• Merlynn66 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A timer is a good idea, I think, if the timer runs out the boss will disappear if no one is fighting him. I play a lot of solo an it often happens, that I go for the boss after waiting and looking for a while to check out if anybody is camping. When I start the bossfight it really often happens to be shot down from behind by a camping team.
    It also would be an idea to spawn some monsters near camping gamers to make camping more difficult.

• Marikosic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

u kill boss and u die bcs you dont camp!
    who wait 50minutes on spawn to someone who kill boss he win... its not fun

• SillySil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Something has to change. Bush people are taking camping too far.
    I have been killed by people camping at the exit around 50 minutes into the match. Like, what were they doing for all this time? I can understand some situations (enemy already banishing, a lot of action so you'd rather wait for people to shoot each other out) but 50 minutes?

There needs to be more incentive to kill and banish the boss. Maybe people carrying bounties that they have banished themselves should also get some vague indicator on map for enemies?
    Or maybe zombies should bother people if they sit in bushes for too long.

• kahairw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, first i'm french so sorry for my english ( i do my best ).

Maybe you can create a sound pack with many different sound like cough. And this sound start when the player stay like 5-10min in the same area then the other player can hear the guy who camp.
    Or you can remove point earned by killing ppl when we are killed by someone who camp in the same area since 5-10min.
    I think for kill the camping gameplay it is necessary to make sure that the camper was spot by the other player. Or remove the gain earned by the camper. Make sure that camping makes the game useless for him, no interest.

• flashfishman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

firstly, my first language is not english, but seriously i love this game very much since i saw it on E3, i hope that this game could be better and further , so i try my best to give the best advice i have as a foreign gamer and producer.
    Clearly, the mainstream gameplay is sneaking and sneaking although it is the most suitable way to play that, but it is still monotonous after a certain time. A settled and optimal style of gameplay is needed, but it can not be the only one. Its like pubg which got a big success on commercialization and popularity, take a rifle and a ****** is the mainstream, but players are still encouraged to play with 2 shotguns, crossbows or handgun. i didn't require this game provide more freedom than some games like pubg or mc, inversely, most mainstream players should be limited by challenge, but we still need to see the possibility of playing this game in another funny and unusual ways. I understand that it is really difficult to catch the balance of tedium and out of control as well as artistry and commerce of a game. I believe you can do it. Adjust hunters' traits or weapons to make the clearer difference among hunters' style is may be a good way. That's my feedback and advice, thanks for your time to read, whilst, thank you to make such great and potential game, i will continuously pay attention on this game.
    By the way, expect a quad mode, if it is possible

• ManuZolfo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try to play double boss contracts, is more rare meet someone who's camping the boss lair

• billytheold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After them saying in their last dev blog:

https://www.huntshowdown.com/news/welcome-to-point-blank-the-game-dev-blog-of-magnus-larbrant

that they want to do something about the camping/stalemate situation, i want to give the following input:

I hope that they do not make it to hard to infiltrate a compound and sneak up on enemy players who are occupied with fighting the boss, on the other side. Because sneaking up on enemy players without them noticing is one of the more rewarding gameplay elements in this game. The campers sneaking into the compound are only a problem because the zone where you fight the boss is right next to the exits. But if there would be more space between the exits and the zone where you actually fight the boss and you couldnt cheese the bosses so easy anymore by camping/kiting them from the exits where they cant follow you to, but had to go into the arena then it wouldnt be so likely anymore that the team which fights the boss gets killed by enemy teams camping outside the exit points, because they wouldnt spend that much time at the exit points anymore but rather spend most of their time fighting the boss inside the actual boss arena. The incentive for players to cheese the boss by camping the exits and shooting the boss from a save place where he cant follow you,is just to big at the moment.

BUTCHER AND SPIDER SHOULD BE ABLE TO PULL EXIT CAMPER INTO THE BOSS ARENA BY SHOOTING THEIR HOOK/SPIDER WEB AT THE CAMPER AND THEN PULLING HIM/HER INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE ARENA, IF IT CONECTS?

One cool idea i have read in a twitch chat was that the butcher should be able to throw his hook at you with a higher chance of hitting you with it(hard to dodge) when you try to exit camp him and then pull you into his arena like a fisher pulling the fish out of the water or like roadhog from overwatch. The spider could do something simular and shoot a spider man like spider web towards you, if you try to exit camp it and pull you into the arena if the spider web conects with you.Other additional bosses they add later could mindcontrol you for a short time if you get to close to the entrance and make you run into the arena, or shoot energy projectiles which teleport you into it it they hit you.Or they have minions/additional enemy AI inside the arena which pulls you in.

TOO MANY "NOISE TRAP" ELEMENTS WOULD DESTROY THE STEALTH ASPECT OF THE GAME:

I really wouldnt like it, for example, if you couldnt infiltrate a boss arena without making noise no matter how hard you try.That would really suck i think. If, they would rearrange all entrances in to a compound in a way that it would be super noisy to use them no matter how hard you try to make no noise, then i think that really would suck and destroy large parts of the more interesting stealth aspects of the game. What would also suck would be if they make the layout of the compounds overall more simplistic so that they havent anymore so many hiding spots and different "secrect" routes to one specific point. That would also destroy large parts of the gameplay.

So i hope that finetuning the compounds does not mean flooding them with even more noise traps or making the overall compound layout more simple.

Its allready the case that there are way to many birds sitting around in this game.You cant walk 10 meter without seeing another bird flok.It gets to the point that this noise trap element of the game,while overall beeing a cool idea, is not fun anymore to encounter, but only tediouse and cumbersome, because of the inflationary use of it in game. Birds,for example, should really not sit directly on clues,ammo boxes, beside hp packs or on choke points like staircaises or ramps.

CRAFTABLE NOISE TRAPS COULD BE A GOOD ALTERNATIVE(IF EVERY PLAYER CAN ONLY CARRY ONE AND CANT FLOOD WHOLE AREAS WITH NOISE TRAPS):

Craftable noise traps (cord+two sticks + old rusted can + stone = >collecting/finding stone,can,2 sticks and cord on the map, puting stone into can,making 2 holes in can ,threading the cord through the holes, binding the ends of the cords to the sticks and placing the sticks on the ground so that the cord with the hanging can(with the stone in it) tightens up to a noise tripwire ) could be a really cool and skilldependent (for both sides) way of "securing" an area against intruders. Like spanning a noise trip wire over the ground on some area you think the enemy team would not expect it and the enemy team can on the other side jump over it without making noise or cut the wire with a knife(if they have equiped one) while holding the can without making noise, so that there would be a play and counterplay element to it.

But every player should only be able to carry one craftable noise trap so that a team cant simple spam them/cover the whole ground with them and make it therefore impossible for the enemy team to enter without making noise. It should rather aquire skill and finesse to place them on good spots and to see them on the other side.

• DevilsCross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not build a heat system. Players who stay long in a certain area produce heat. Like in 7 Days To Die. If the reach a point Zomies near by search them and attack the camping persons. Make some better pathfinding zombies allowing them to destroy doors and climbing ladders. Or camping the place he is in. Shooting at players should allert Zombies much better.

• xXJohnDoe31Xx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RP wise this isn't good and also immersion breaking
    i see your point and it's actually pretty good but there are better ways to do so i believe less radical

• Kindaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Camping is not an issue and nothing needs to be done to combat campers. What does need to be done is something that encourages players to kill/banish the boss themselves or play the objective in general instead of just letting others do the work.

• bezerknl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a part of the game the tension not to know if some 1 is camping.
    If you want arcade shooters get pugb fortnite or cod

• FrgMstr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did get a horribly bad beat this weekend playing with my daughter and was the firs time I felt cheated by "campers." We got all the clues, killed the Butcher, got the bounty and made our way to the extract. We NEVER heard another soul on the map through the entire match. Going into extract, we pulled a wide circle to come up to the extract point "from behind." Got into the back of the extract point, which was the pontoon boat, got in between the rear pontoons, and both of us were headshotted from behind in a couple seconds. It was a camp by another team that did nothing but camp the extract, I am almost 100% sure of. On one hand, I should have taken more time to secure extract, but on the other it was a BS kill/loss. I have been killed at extract before, but this one really gave me a negative feeling about the game for the first time. I think something needs to be done in the game mechanics to address this somehow. That said, I will surely play again. But this did sour me a bit. Also, it will make me a better player next time. :)

• ShadowOfEnigma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this. Have you ever gone straight to the boss to kill it if you're the first one there? What % of the time do you get killed while attacking the boss? About 75% for me.

• Jinn Palvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are already too much crows on the map. How about Rats they nibbling your feet and you lose health and you start to scream?

• JuX88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my experience the campers are the ones in a disadvantage at boss locations. They mainly get the advantage when players with bounties get reckless and think they are golden for not dying making so much noise killing the boss.

• Orin67 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is unrealistic. The boss, while being the main objective, is not a necessary goal. Using the boss as a means to lure enemy players is valid tactic and having to deal with that makes the boss all the more challenging. Implementing a false game mechanic that forces a player's character to do something isn't realistic and also makes things too easy for players looking for the challenge of varying player tactics.

• Calison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm loving the double contract shenanigans and as an extra point of challenge I am hoping for double boss room, where both the Spider and the Butcher are in the same Building and you must take them both on.

Still though something needs to be done to discourage excessive camping maybe the boss gets harder over time and after 30 mins charges out and hunts down the closet hunter team(s) all while taking 1/10 damage from them before returning to it's domain, then camping the boss fight becomes a lot more of a risk. Camping at extraction/boss points could maybe have some sort of slow passive zombie draw when hunters stay in the same place (5-10 metre zone.) for more than a short time (20-30 seconds) this makes extraction/boss camping a little more dangerous and more interesting and perhaps slightly more visible to people extracting so they can either run to another point or counter ambush if they see the extraction point is devoid of zombies or there is a trail of zombies at the point.

• SilvarCraw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I truly agree with the topic.
    Camping is a tactic, the game is slowly turning into just simple camping the boss site game. why not put in a marshmallow in the game so you can roast some of them while you camp? since everyone is camping and looking for campers, rather than really play the game and kill the boss and collect the bounty. the game basically punished the players who ever fight the boss, where all campers will just sit outside and wait. with all this camping, I simply turn this game into PvE for myself. I collect 3 clues and go to the opposite side of the boss site and start killing grunts for fun, since everyone is camping the boss site i am just enjoying the true game intended. i collect the clue money and tons of exp and enjoy the wonderful site seeing in this game(btw good job on making such a beautiful game where i can take pictures and show to my friends) , and basically wait for everyone kills each other either someone will think everyone is dead and kill the boss or everyone dies except me left to fight the boss(that's prob 2 hours later where i literally have a feeling i clear the whole map of grunts). the game right now punishes the people who start the boss and encourage every player to camp the boss site, and if this was what the game was meant to be? so be it. we will maybe have the Olympics for the longest staring contest on boss site since no one wants to be punished for starting the boss fight.

Feedback and Knowledge Base