Let’s hear your ideas:

System to Stop or Discourage Camping

I've been following this game for a while now since it was announced and just recently the Closed Alpha has been released and lots of broadcasters have started streaming the game.

What I've noticed a bit from watching broadcasters is people camping outside the monster either before it has been killed or after the banishing, waiting for the players to run out so they can kill them. I understand to some extent this is an intended game mechanic but it can still feel pretty ****** for some players. I have an idea that could help to combat this from becoming a problem to game play.

What I'm proposing is a sort of "Terror" mechanic to at least somewhat punish the hardcore campers. What this would be is a mechanic that causes players, once they reach a certain threshold of "Terror", to begin screaming and yelling so as to alert players to their general location and discourage them from just camping all game. How it would work is that whenever a player stops moving around much and stays in a general area, maybe like a circular region around the player, or the players last location, they would start to generate "Terror". The player would only generate "Terror" if they didn't achieve a set of variables checked every so often maybe such as things like, attacking mobs, attacking the monster, setting traps. The only condition I'm not sure about having is attacking other players because then it might just serve no purpose, maybe check the variable of attacking other players more often than the others. "Terror" would be a visible thing to the player so that they know they either need to move to a different area completely or they need to start fighting monsters and doing things other than sitting in place.

I feel that a system like this would be the best way to combat campers without the need to change any of the major systems of the game. Going against campers in any game is never fun and this might help to stop it from plaguing this wonderful game.

Other than that one possible issue the game looks amazing and seems like it plays amazing from what I've seen.

Thanks for all your work on it!

418 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rekkt_MD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Already implemented  ·  Adminjanneke (Admin, Crytek) responded  · 

Sorry for the delayed response. We have implemented the dark sight boost a couple of updates ago to go against camping as well as give extra incentive to go after the bounty. Obviously we still want camping to be a valid tactic but with the dark sight boost it makes it a lot harder when they can be seen.

181 comments

Comments are closed
  • Homlit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Highlight camping players, players who stand still for to long, many players just wait for others to pick up clues for them.
    a game could easy last to 1-1.5 hours cuz all just camp.

• braggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instant reward for banishing the boss would help incentivise people to fight the objective. Also maybe a timed reward for banishing/turning-in the bounty quickly.

One of the current incentives that I do like is that hunters that "discover" the boss lair get an instant xp reward.

The current meta is to find the clues, camp the boss location, and pick off players as the come to the location.

This has made it so that everyone just waits around until someone else kills the boss, or they just leave the game if they feel like they've killed enough monsters or no one is doing anything.

It's frustrating because there is an objective in the game, but no one is/has to do it and it's leading to boring games.

I think there should be some incentives put in place before this problem gets out of hand and drives players away.

• BRM_Ragnar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only thing that I think would be appropriate here is to remove the mechanic that lets everyone know where the monster is and the banishing status as soon as the monster banishing sequence begins. If you find your way to the monster's lair to find out that the monster was already banished then tough luck. Find it faster next time.

• McSnicker21 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of different ways to reduce camping, but to keep this game unique I think that adding a heat mechanic that passively build based on player activity (or lack of) in a certain area.
    An couple of examples of this would be;
    Crows attracted to hunters stationary to long.
    AI attracted to location with a lot of noise (Gunshots, chains, ect.).
    Hunter slipping into darkness when stationary for to long (causing hunter to become restless and make passive noise).

Overall a heat mechanic that is subtle but noticeable to a watchful eye is needed in this game to help push the pace.

Love the game so far, keep up the great work.

Also, adding scopes will entice more hunters to camp, keep this game unique and scope free.

• koijotito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Camping doesn't have to be stopped, I would just like it to be more difficult / less rewarding. Like if you sit in one spot for too long some mobs will smell you and start to converge on your location. Once the boss starts taking damage, the area around its lair should get more mobs spawned so those who avoid being stationary but still wander around the lair area waiting for the other hunters to finish the job, would run into more trouble. Then, once the boss is killed, the mobs disappear (or ignore the players holding the bounty).

• Iconocla5t commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: Or instead of a timer camping players could be punished with random enemies getting to the position they are camping on.

• Iconocla5t commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a team has found all clues there should be a timer with like 10-20 minutes. When that timer reachers zero the boss will either dissapear or become stronger every 1-2 minutes after the counter reached zero. So people actually have to kill the boss and not just camp around for an hour waiting for other players first.

• Retr0f1t commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been seeing a lot of feedback regarding camping. Does this strategy reflect negatively on a game, and should it be discouraged? Does the advantage should be turned into a liability?

Ways to Discourage Camping:
    1. Rewarding non-camping by - Increasing "First to kill" boss end rewards. Speed Timer cash reward.
    1.1 Penalty to stealing/changing of hands of the bounty - Dishonorable bounty reward. Karma bounty on next game - decreases amount earned on next bounty match.
    2. Map layout - decreasing sight lines, obstructions, hiding spots, and map size.
    3. Add NPCs enemies targeting campers - As per previous comment. Roaming and path rework/randomization.
    4. More alerts by Camper's presence - corpses left by kills (by increasing monster density), add camping hunter tracks/aura with extreme lag duration. Add scope glare.
    5. Adding Traits/Abilities - a sixth sense that alerts non-hunter camper. i.e. Trigger "Heart beat" sound when a enemy scope or ****** rifle is fixed on him/her as the target.
    6. Add ways to flush campers or obstruct vision - smoke and fire propagation that envelop brush and buildings.

The majority of the confrontations should occur in the following instances: Boss/Bounty location, Extraction, clue spots, choke points, and crow/monster dense spots. I don't know the ranking, but these are likely camping areas. Extraction areas could change locations to prevent camping. Or be Hidden as mentioned in other feedback.

• PriesT75 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since ****** rifles are going to be added to the game, that is what I fear most, nonstop camping atop a large building "guarding" a clue, boss, or exit. How are you going to motivate players to move against targets instead of perching and killing off all other teams and then calmly collect the bounty? We already see this now and to be frank, it is boring as ****.

One idea is to have a special monster that hunts the hunters perhaps? If nothing else it will bring some paranoia into the mix knowing att something out there is actively serching for human flesh to consume. Should be hard as **** to kill and if a player dies the monster will spawn offspring in the corpse that in turn will search for "food" and add additional stress to the players. :) It must be able to traverse any obstacle or players will find a way to chees it.

• Lunze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Camping is a part of the game mechanics and I like it. However, there should be some penalties if you do it to long. For example after a while staying at the same position you could become visible to players entering the dark side in a similar way as if you had picked up a bounty.

• ArocZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be done something against camping a Campmeta maybe that if the boss is laid you can not camp in a certain area of ​​the boss zone and there is a minimap on which these people are shown or take damage and the boss casually a small one Buff get faster for a minute and better regeneration and more experience because that makes the game just broken.

• Gettomagic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the third clue is found and you enter the zone labeled for the monster there should be some form of time restraint to kill it. After that restraint you should be given 3 minutes to leave the zone before some consequence (maybe your ammo will disappear or a health bar is permanently lost) You will then remain out of the hunter zone for 5 minutes. This prevent eternal camping like PUBG style.

• mwegner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about a little Camp where you can Join to meet with other Hunters ( a real camp where you can run around ) and Decide to play with them ? for lobby system ?

mabye that would it make easier to find players from same country

• budViser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First off let me say I'm not complaining about camping extraction point as it is essentially the only strategy for a solo player to walk away with the bounty (unless you're rambo). What if you could have an old river boat or just a simple flat bottom boat that a hunter could equip as a "tool" or "consumable" so that he would have a totally unmarked extraction point on the map. Maybe make it fairly expensive and only one time use and they'll have to buy another for the next mission.

• mwrks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another solution could be to have the dark energy of the monster/boss draw you in more the closer you get (after any player finds the monster or all the clues, to prevent making clues irrelevant). And if you try to resist it by staying stationary you start to experience something which in effect blurs your vision, makes your hands shaky, etc. The closer you are to the monster's lair, the stronger the effects. In other words, you can camp as much as you want farther away, but as you get closer, the effect compels you to keep on the move more.

• ZeldaInkwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have have lots of games where people camp outside buildings and just wait. and do you know how i deal with it? i go inside and kill the boss. you get more xp for killing and banishing the boss then you do turning in the bounty. And about 80% of the time i end up killing the campers on the way out (cause they are usually bad shots) i mean thats why they are camping in the first place. And yes sometimes you will get ganked by some person in a bush hiding. it does happen. but if u can get into the boss room, you can easily kill the boss and lock down that building until the banishing is complete. I know it can be frustrating but the more you play, the easier you will deal with them. Its not as bad eas everyone keeps saying

• Dahveed1988 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a huge problem with Hunters camping outside the bounty area waiting for other Hunters to approach it so they can gun them down. The past couple of matches I played no one wanted to go into the bounty location to fight it because everyone in that location was hiding in wait. There's almost no point in going after the bounty because chances are you're going to get a bullet in the head for even attempting to open the door. Camping is a hard thing to penalize, especially since it's strategic in this game, but as far as the bounty location something needs to be done about it.

• Daskard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"In reality there is no camping, it's just tactical."
    Well then, enjoy watching some digital grass grow while I actually PLAY games.
    We'll see, how much fun the game is to you, if ALL players camp and you are not the one farming all those, who are foolish enough to move, because those, who don't like tripping a minefield of campers every game will leave the game behind.

Feedback and Knowledge Base