Let’s hear your ideas:

System to Stop or Discourage Camping

I've been following this game for a while now since it was announced and just recently the Closed Alpha has been released and lots of broadcasters have started streaming the game.

What I've noticed a bit from watching broadcasters is people camping outside the monster either before it has been killed or after the banishing, waiting for the players to run out so they can kill them. I understand to some extent this is an intended game mechanic but it can still feel pretty ****** for some players. I have an idea that could help to combat this from becoming a problem to game play.

What I'm proposing is a sort of "Terror" mechanic to at least somewhat punish the hardcore campers. What this would be is a mechanic that causes players, once they reach a certain threshold of "Terror", to begin screaming and yelling so as to alert players to their general location and discourage them from just camping all game. How it would work is that whenever a player stops moving around much and stays in a general area, maybe like a circular region around the player, or the players last location, they would start to generate "Terror". The player would only generate "Terror" if they didn't achieve a set of variables checked every so often maybe such as things like, attacking mobs, attacking the monster, setting traps. The only condition I'm not sure about having is attacking other players because then it might just serve no purpose, maybe check the variable of attacking other players more often than the others. "Terror" would be a visible thing to the player so that they know they either need to move to a different area completely or they need to start fighting monsters and doing things other than sitting in place.

I feel that a system like this would be the best way to combat campers without the need to change any of the major systems of the game. Going against campers in any game is never fun and this might help to stop it from plaguing this wonderful game.

Other than that one possible issue the game looks amazing and seems like it plays amazing from what I've seen.

Thanks for all your work on it!

418 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rekkt_MD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Already implemented  ·  Adminjanneke (Admin, Crytek) responded  · 

Sorry for the delayed response. We have implemented the dark sight boost a couple of updates ago to go against camping as well as give extra incentive to go after the bounty. Obviously we still want camping to be a valid tactic but with the dark sight boost it makes it a lot harder when they can be seen.

181 comments

Comments are closed
  • DOCILENZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once a player sits still for to long, flies will come. After a prolonged period they take small amounts of poison damage forcing them to move.
    This could be multiplied inside the radius of the target/escape routes.

• Valgul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, when a person sits for a long time camping on one position, grunt start coming to him and like going to his location, so the player wont be able to stay on one place for a long time and will have to leave his position. And it is good from world's mechanic: man stays for a long time on one position, grunts feel his smell or whatever :D and go for him

• Zen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no need for such a system. Every "good camper spot" in the game, can be reached in at least two ways, making every camper vulnerable. ... So nobody can feel safe. Hardcore campers will have to move eventually to win the game! Just sitting around will not win you the game. .... If you keep getting killed by campers, rethink your playstyle! Approache more slowly, listen to everything and take your time.

• MrMudd88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a bad idea. Camping is part of a hunt, makes no sense to take it out of the game.

• LorNaDOs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, it a cool ide, but camping is a hunting tactic. So maby make it so insted of scraming the other palyers that are close enough can see the smell of the camper in dark sight due to hes smell builds up around the camper when standing still. This makes the fair by me, the camper can camp (but must move [the smell will slowly fade away if the camper moves a surtin meters from the spot] if he wants to stay hidden) and the palyer can se him if smart to look for the sign in dark sight.

• Usence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can not completeley agree on that. You have extraction points in different directions and every boss location also has different ways and directions to leave it. If the people camp on the wrong side they could not catch up with the escaping hunters. I understand the frustrations of campers but this is how it would be in reality. It's pure gambling and if your movements are easy to predict it's your own fault.

A real solution would be to add more ways to leave the area after banishing so it get's more difficult to predict and camp people.

• Bum1k1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The game looks promissing, but is contradicting itself a little. It should be focused on finding clues and tracking down / killing boss and not exploiting the game through camping. I came up with 3 ways to battle this.

1. The boss should not be spawned from beginning of the game, only its type and random spawn point should be selected and the spawn would be triggered when player who found all 3 clues enters the proximity of the area and lairs. This way no one will accidentally encounter the monster with just 1 clue, unless it was already intentionally found and therefore spawned by faster players with all 3 clues, this way the clues will be a necessity.

2. After killing the boss there should be a chest that has ammo and health so the heroes can stock and prepare for escape and NPC should swarm the are outside the boss lair so the escape or ambush will be harder for all players, the banishing could be loud so players outside could hear what is going on around the area. After the banishing is done the clues should be disabled and a light beam could be seen from the dead spot of the boss shooting to the sky to indicate where the lairs where. No additional indications on the map, if you got only 2 clues the light beam is the only indication you get to know where the lairs where and where the players are running from. The bounty players could have some visible indication to know they are carrying the bounty.

3. Camping exits can be solved easily. Make the exits appear inside the map and on the outside of the map randomly or in random series and, for example, have 10 of them put in the match, BUT only 5 of them active and visible on the map, the rest not. After banishing is done the locked exits will be visible on the map and activated as the new ones and the previous ones will be disabled, this way you can not camp exits, you need to race the players to them to hunt them down.

Additional ideas:
    -After banishing, the Dark Sight could show tracks of the bounty players movement if you are close enough, but only the place they were at 20 seconds ago or so. This way you get some sense of hunting them, yet it will not be too OP.
    -Executing downed players, also collecting their dog tags that you can sell, higher player rank - more money.
    -Make the clues a minigame or puzzle you need to piece together to figure out the position of lairs as well as what type of boss it will be, to prepare for the encounter adequately.
    -Spawnning the boss, fighting it, killing it, banishing it and collecting the bounty, escaping as well as finding the clues and successfully piecing them together should be the main focus of the game and should be the MAJORITY of distributed points. Mobs and players should be minority. Exception being killing the bounty players and stealing their bounty.
    -Some way of communication with your teammate and better indication of their position.
    -Different game modes, also FFA, possible horde mode.

• Bum1k1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The game looks promissing, but is contradicting itself a little. It should be focused on finding clues and tracking down / killing boss and not exploiting the game through camping. I came up with 3 ways to battle this.

1. The boss should not be spawned from beginning of the game, only its type and random spawn point should be selected and the spawn would be triggered when player who found all 3 clues enters the proximity of the area and lairs. This way no one will accidentally encounter the monster with just 1 clue, unless it was already intentionally found and therefore spawned by faster players with all 3 clues, this way the clues will be a necessity.

2. After killing the boss there should be a chest that has ammo and health so the heroes can stock and prepare for escape and NPC should swarm the are outside the boss lairs so the escape or ambush will be harder for all players, the banishing could be loud so players outside could hear what is going on around the area. After the banishing is done the clues should be disabled and a light beam could be seen from the dead spot of the boss shooting to the sky to indicate where the lairs where. No additional indications on the map, if you got only 2 clues the light beam is the only indication you get to know where the lairs where and where the players are running from. The bounty players could have some visible indication to know they are carrying the bounty.

3. Camping exits can be solved easily. Make the exits appear in the map and outside of the map randomly or in random series and, for example, have 10 of them on the map, BUT only 5 of them active and visible on the map, the rest not. After banishing is done the locked exits will be visible on the map and activated as the new ones and the previous ones will be disabled, this way you can not camp exits, you need to race the players to them to hunt them down.

Additional ideas:
    -After banishing, the Dark Sight could show tracks of the bounty players movement if you are close enough, but only the place they were at 20 seconds ago or so. This way you get some sense of hunting them, yet it will not be too OP.
    -Executing downed players, also collecting their dog tags that you can sell, higher player rank - more money.
    -Make the clues a minigame or puzzle you need to piece together to figure out the position of lairs as well as what type of boss it will be, to prepare for the encounter adequately.
    -Spawnning the boss, fighting it, killing it, banishing it and collecting the bounty, escaping as well as finding the clues and successfully piecing them together should be the main focus of the game and should be the MAJORITY of distributed points. Mobs and players should be minority. Exception being killing the bounty players and stealing their bounty

• Johnny.Ringo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be less camping in pvp and more chasing near the end of the game. To minimize camping the game should alert the other players only when the boss is killed and maybe only have the lightning strike the players with the bounty every so often rather than constantly above their heads.

• Rekkt_MD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do really also like the idea of a "Seeker" enemy that'd chase you down for staying in the same area for too long, maybe do it off the same checks system I proposed.

Hallucinations also seems like a pretty good way to deter campers, make it seem like one of the bug monsters that sends the insects after you spawned and is about to attack you.

Also, on the idea that a system like one of the ones mentioned would make the game easier, no I don't believe that to be true. People would still be able to camp spots like outside the boss area and near the extraction, they just wouldn't be able to be camping that one spot the entire game, they'd need to be a bit more active.

I would also argue that letting people camp spots with no repercussions makes the game extremely easy, more easy than if a system was implemented to combat campers. If I wanted to tryhard I'd make a mad dash for the clues then just camp outside the boss every time rather than ever fighting it.

• BetterBeaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't show the extraction on the map. make it a clue based system like the rest of the game.

• BetterBeaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not play like this, but I can already tell that is what this game will turn into unless there is a better way to discourage it. Perhaps making people who haven't found bounty be unaware of where the extract is? Or make them face waves of monster ...IDK anyone have ideas?

• Ixozuxiz93 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with this. Hallucinations would be awesome though.

I also don't want it to be PUBG-esque.

Side-stepping and quick-scoping is a big no-no in a game like this.

• SaltyLeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In several raids yesterday I noted that teams have a strong tendency to camp the area outside of the monster while we were inside, killing and banishing it. The hole time we heard voices of of other players/teams in the area. We didn't kill any AI outside to have some protection or at least proximity warning from other players but right now this doesnt work.

These players camped outside the buildings for minutes without ever being attacked by the surrounding AI. The same goes for exits. We were attacked two times right at the exit by camping teams. Again, they were comfortably sitting in the bushes for minutes, waiting for any players arriving. Such cheap tactics should be punished or be at least much more dangerous in this game.

• spazzmaticus107@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dude hallucinations sound hilarious! If I was to decide I would make an entire boss based on decoys and hallucinations! Running decoys, shots in the distance, walking and running footsteps chasing you. That sounds amazing. Props Clint.

That would be pretty funny if a player stopped paying attention at some point and after he faced a decoy it turned out to be a shotgun hunter ^^.

• clint northwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like the seeker idea from spazzmaticus107, of cause it had to be balanced how long it would take them sitting around before the seeker start to harass them.

Another good idea would be giving them visual hallucinations/visions if they camp to long so that they suddenly see other enemy players or monsters which are not really there and try to start shooting at them.So that you hear them shooting around.

• Hellbent PD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like for the hounds or a tough enemy to trigger and hunt players who stick near the boss for too long. That way hovering around the boss gives a bigger risk of giving away your position.

Or perhaps have crows flock around in the sky over players who haven't moved more than 10 meters in the last 5 minutes.

That way you're encouraged far more to go in and fight the boss. Or stay mobile and put yourself at a bit more risk when it comes to trying to hunt players.

I like the high risk of fighting the boss. But some matches only reach that point once a team camping the area has wiped out the players trying to approach it. Even a subtle alert that players have been hovering around the boss area would do fine. The people camping the boss would still have a good chance of killing you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base