Let’s hear your ideas:

Hunting Tracks...

So, I know that sound is the crucial part of hunting players and the undead alike, but I think it would be really amazing if these enemies left temporary, hard to see, tracks behind. If nothing else, other hunters should leave temporary footprints: deep, highly visible ones if they're running. One of the big things about actual, real-life hunting is the ability to know what's in the area and what direction it was going in from the footprints left behind. Walking through mud, running through fields, and so forth leave visible, temporary tracks(broken branches, torn fabric)/footprints that can be noticed/followed.

Of course, this will impact certain machines, my own included I imagine, but if optimized and implemented correctly I think it would not only emphasize, but also balance/advance the hunt/stealth aspects of the game. It also brings a full cost/reward aspect to bigger, bolder actions.

53 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DarkmindSLIVER shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JackDodgers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wouldn't be interesting if the tracks could be seen only in Dark Sight mode? Or would it be too much Witcher3?
    If it's not on plain sight, would it impact on performance the same way as in normal sight?

• DarkmindSLIVER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, thanks everyone for the support so far! This is really exciting and humbling for me; I truly appreciate your votes! Just wanted to let you all know that I'm still an active member here LOL.

Hey, if you like this idea, be sure to check out my personal favorite idea: Gambling...On Side-Quests. Which would create a true risk/reward system based dynamically per player on your playstyle and history that would facilitate another means of earning more money per hunt session. Link following here:

https://feedback.huntshowdown.com/forums/907954-user-interface/suggestions/35695174-gambling-on-side-quests

Thanks again for the love everyone!

@HollowCasper, 1. It's not about finding where the bounty is so I don't know where you perceived that notion from. I apologize for any vagueness in my wording, but that's not at all what I had in mind for this design. Maybe it was the line, "enemies left temporary...tracks behind?" This was in reference to different enemies like: Grunts, Hives, Armored, Meat Heads, and so forth. They all have different strides and walking gaits so they could, in theory, leave behind different tracks. However, I somewhat state and do think this would be a bit much and costly on most machines.

2. No, of course not, I think anyone that would spend their time looking for footprints, cloth pieces, or broken limbs in this game as a priority would be somewhat foolish to do so. The point of this design is meant to be a passive one; so you're sneaking through the bushes on-approach to a compound and just as you're about to emerge into an open field you see a set of dark, deep footprints in the mud ahead. Then a torn piece of cloth in the thicket just adjacent to you. In this design, the prints/cloth would only be allocated for about 30 - 60 seconds so you know that at this compound there's a hunter. Moreover, you also know that they're high profile and sprint through areas and likely use loud weapons. All traits of a PvP-centered player and through their carelessness, they no longer have the element of surprise working for them. Now, it's you who has the drop on them.

This opens Hunt up for support of various play styles as well as really setting a cost/benefit point across those play styles. Is it worth going fast and loud? Is it worth going careful and stealthy? That's the ultimate point for the design.

• HollowCasper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For one, you can get an estimated idea of where the bounty is on your map and with dark sight.

Secondly, do you really think you would spend the time to look at a footprint in the mud or a torn piece of cloth in the woods? Especially when the bounty is non stop running straight to that extraction. There is no point in adding this, it would only hinder you from actually catching up to the bounty.

Thanks Stabilis, and the interesting thing is it wouldn't be hard to really code either. Any time that the footstep sound is played, this 2D texture is imprinted in ~70% transparency in that position. The louder the footstep, the less the transparency and the darker that texture is to be seen.

Put a 1mn timer on those textures or set them as a group with a limit like: 60 steps, and erase the textures in order. I mean, like I say, this of course would cost some in performance, but maybe only like 1% or 2% to be honest. Like you say, it fits with the hunting theme of the game; I appreciate your feedback. Now, if only more people would see/comment/vote on the suggestion that would be awesome. LOL.

• Stabilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea sounds great. There'd definitely be performance impacts, but if done properly could be very interesting and actually caters to the feel and theme of the game.

Feedback and Knowledge Base